So, he founded a monastery of Crossed Friars under the Rule of St. Augustine who would also manage a hospital close-by. The monastery was dedicated to St. John the Baptist and stood just outside the city walls, the remains of which are still visible today. Over the years and centuries the monastery prospered and the hospital expanded, though they also knew days of violence, terror and desolation. Just as today the John's Lane steeple is one of the stand-out landmarks in the city, so in medieval times the tower of John the Baptist, or the Magdalen Tower as it was called, at the New Gate caught the eye of every visitor to Dublin. It was sited, almost to the foot, at where the present high altar is now positioned...
Under the leadership of Fr. Martin Crane, a Wexford man, the work of building this church began in 1862. The architect for the project was Edward Welby Pugin who came from a famous family of architects. In this work he was assisted by his partner and brother-in-law George C. Ashling a native of Cork. His father was Augustus Welby Pugin (1812-'52) one of the chief revivers of Gothic architecture and ecclesiastical art in Great Britain and Ireland. The design was 13th century French Gothic, influenced no doubt by Pugin's French Huguenot background. Michael Meade, J.P. of Great Brunswick Street (now Pearse Street) was the initial contractor and he also built the O'Connell Monument and Vault in Glasnevin cemetary.
In 1874, with the roof and tower in place, the church opened for public worship. When the second phase of the building was undertaken in 1892, the architect was William Hague, J.P. from Cavan who had a business in Dawson Street. The contractor for this phase of construction was William Connolly of Lower Dominick Street. It took until 1895 before all the exterior was complete and the solemn opening took place on 15th December of that year...
The estimated cost at the time of construction was £60,000 ... a terrifying sum then. The site was purchased for £3,000. Much of the funding came from local contributions and the fund-raisers on the home front were Brothers Stanislaus McCarthy and Nicholas O'Neill, they collected some £6,000 locally. Monies were also collected from England, the United States, Australia and Canada. Frs. Edward Mooney and Henry Allen spent six years in Australia and managed to collect over £9,000 between them. To America and Canada went Fr. Martin Crane, as Provincial, and Fr. Henry Williams, Prior of Dungarvan.
SOME CHURCH STATISTICS - In this age of statistics the following may be of interest.
John's Lane church is 50. 29 meters long (165 feet) x 28.34 meters wide (93 feet).
It is also worth noting that the bell-tower has twelve niches for statues; the man commissioned to carve these was Mr. James Pearse, father of the patriots Padraig and Willie. One of his assistants was Edmund Sharpe who later on became expert in the trade and sculpted the beautiful white carrara marble high altar and the shrine to Our Mother of Good Counsel. The carved detail in front of the main altar is a masterpiece and well worth a closer look.
SOME OTHER NOTABLE IRISH CHURCHES DESIGNED BY E.W.PUGIN (in association with G.Ashlin).
St.Peter & Pauls (Cork)
Fermoy Catholic Church and Crosshaven Catholic Church in County Cork.
The Chapels in both the Convent of Mercy in Birr, Co.Offaly